Support is available for those affected by the NSW floods. Resources and information can be found at the NSW Flood Assistance and Resources page.
You are here: Home › Grants › Aboriginal Affairs NAIDOC Grants Program
In this section:
Aboriginal Affairs NAIDOC Grants Program
NAIDOC Grant funding is provided by Aboriginal Affairs NSW to support activities and events in NSW held during NAIDOC Week (2 July – 9 July 2023) that celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, culture and achievements.
The theme for NAIDOC Week in 2023 is For Our Elders at https://www.naidoc.org.au/.
Events and activities must be held between 2 July 2023 and 30 November 2023.
When can I apply for funding?
Applications open Monday 13 February 2023
Applications close 2pm Friday 24 March 2023.
Late applications will not be considered or accepted unless Aboriginal Affairs NSW, in its sole discretion, determines that it is in the interests of the fairness of the program to accept the late application. See the FAQs for more details.
How much can I apply for?
Applicants can apply for grants from $500 to $3,000. Aboriginal Affairs NSW has allocated $250,000 for NAIDOC Grant funding in 2023.
Who can apply?
Aboriginal Affairs NSW NAIDOC Grants, where possible, are distributed to Aboriginal run and controlled organisations.
Eligible applicants are:
- incorporated not-for-profit organisations registered with NSW Fair Trading under the Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW)
- Aboriginal Corporations registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth)
- not-for-profit companies incorporated in Australia under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth)
- Local Aboriginal Land Councils established under the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983 (NSW)
- NSW Local Council operating under the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW)
- Incorporated Cooperatives (incorporated under state/territory legislation, and commonly have ’Cooperative' in their legal name)
- incorporated trustees on behalf of a trust, including Catholic School trusts
- unincorporated groups who have entered into an agreement with an eligible organisation to receive and manage the funding
Applicants must be located in NSW and/or delivering a service to communities within NSW.
Applicants must have public liability of at least $10 million per claim.
Applicants not eligible for funding are:
- Federal and State Government agencies and bodies, including public schools and hospitals
- NSW Public Schools (however, can partner with an eligible organisation)
- for-profit organisations, including Aboriginal businesses
- unincorporated organisations or groups without an eligible auspicing organisation
- organisations that have not met project requirements, including acquittal and reporting for NAIDOC Grant funding received from Aboriginal Affairs NSW in the previous two years.
NSW Public Schools
NSW Public Schools cannot apply for NAIDOC Grants. NSW Public Schools that want to apply for a NAIDOC Grant should approach an eligible
organisation to partner with, such as an incorporated P&C, incorporated local Aboriginal Education Consultative Group (AECG) or Local
Aboriginal Land Council (LALC) to be the applicant.
If an unincorporated group wishes to apply for a NAIDOC Grant, they will need to partner with an eligible organisation to receive and administer the funding. The eligible organisation must apply on behalf of the unincorporated group.
Guidelines and Resources
For further information, including what can be funded and selection criteria, download the following supporting documents:
NAIDOC Grants Program Guidelines
Step by Step Guide for Applicants
Applications are to be completed online at https://aboriginalaffairs.smartygrants.com.au/
Support and contacts
If you have any questions regarding the Aboriginal Affairs NSW NAIDOC Grants, please contact your nearest Aboriginal Affairs NSW regional office on the phone numbers below:
Batemans Bay 02 8575 1037
Tamworth 02 8575 1172
Coffs Harbour 02 9566 8318
Broken Hill 02 9228 5224
Bourke 02 9228 5224
Dubbo 02 8575 1073
Newcastle 02 9273 3968
Sydney 02 8575 1105