Aboriginal Languages Trust
About the Aboriginal Languages Trust
The Aboriginal Languages Trust (ALT) is an Aboriginal-led NSW Government Agency. The Trust was established under the NSW Aboriginal
Languages Act 2017 to provide a focused, coordinated, and sustained effort in relation to Aboriginal languages activities at local,
regional and State levels.
The functions of the Trust are defined in the Act. They include:
- promoting language activity
- identifying priorities for language activity
- managing the funding of, and investment in language activity
- promoting education and employment opportunities in language activities
- promoting the wider use and appreciation of Aboriginal languages
The Trust will also work with other Government agencies to provide advice and guidance on Aboriginal languages, and with the Geographical
Names Board on the use of Aboriginal languages in the naming of geographical places in NSW.
The Trust is also responsible for preparing a five-year strategic plan for the growth and nurturing of Aboriginal Languages. The plan is to
be submitted to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs by March 2022.
To find out more information visit the Aboriginal Languages Trust website.