Opportunity Hubs aim to provide Aboriginal young people with the confidence and knowledge to follow a supported pathway between secondary school and further education and/or employment. To achieve this outcome, Opportunity Hubs are building partnerships between schools, employers, education and training providers and the local community to coordinate and match employment, training and further education opportunities to individual students’ aspirations.
Non-government Opportunity Hub service providers have been contracted to coordinate and broker links with schools, employers, training providers, support services and Aboriginal communities, to deliver improved outcomes for Aboriginal young people, including increased:
- participation and retention at school;
- aspiration and expectation of career pathways for Aboriginal students;
- post-school enrolment in further education and training; and
- placement in sustainable jobs.
Four locations have been chosen for the initial establishment of Opportunity Hubs: Upper Hunter; Campbelltown; Dubbo; and Tamworth.
These sites were chosen based on the following criteria:
- existence of strong Aboriginal leadership;
- significant or growing proportion of Aboriginal students in school populations;
- real and sustainable employment opportunities;
- real opportunities for NGO and business sector buy-in;
- available career champions and mentors; and
- VET or tertiary education providers.
The establishment of Opportunity Hubs followed extensive consultations with local Aboriginal communities and education and training stakeholders within the Opportunity Hub regions. A tender process was conducted to select the Opportunity Hub service providers. The successful contractors are:
Campbelltown: MTC Australia. Contact Laura Bradburn, T: 1300 232 663 or 0434 603 311; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dubbo: TAFE Western Institute, Dubbo College. Contact Jamie Sampson, T: (02) 6883 3699, email@example.com
Tamworth: Tamworth Local Aboriginal Land Council. Contact Fiona Snape, T: (02) 6766 9028; firstname.lastname@example.org
Upper Hunter: Aboriginal Employment Strategy Limited. Contact Leanne Ellis, T: 0417 037 481 email@example.com
Should you have questions relating to Opportunity Hubs please forward your query to the nominated contact officer in State Training Services:
Mr David Michaels
Phone: (02) 9244 5010
Information about State Training Services can be found at: http://www.training.nsw.gov.au
A Fact Sheet can be downloaded here.