Support is available for those affected by the NSW floods. Resources and information can be found at the NSW Flood Assistance and Resources page.
You are here: Home › Our Agency › News › Unfinished Business Report: NSW Government Makes Progress
Go back to all news
Unfinished Business Report: NSW Government Makes Progress
Aboriginal Affairs Minister Sarah Mitchell has tabled the Unfinished Business Progress Report to Parliament, which details the work the NSW Government has done so far to progress the commitments made to Stolen Generations survivors, including financial reparations and healing initiatives.
The Unfinished Business Progress Report outlines a number of key achievements by the NSW Government in the last 18 months, including:
- The establishment of the Stolen Generations Advisory Committee, who have met with officials across Government to discuss concerns and advocate for better service responses for survivors;
- Written apologies to each Stolen Generations survivor who has received a reparations payment, in recognition of the harm and trauma they experienced as a result of past government policies;
- $24 million in Stolen Generations reparations payments to survivors who were removed by or committed to the Aborigines Welfare Board;
- Working closely with the Stolen Generations survivor organisations to support them towards receiving funding for collecting healing responses; and
- An acknowledgement in Parliament on the 20th anniversary of the tabling of the Bringing Them Home report, publicly recognising the historic wrongs of past government practices of forcible removals.
“The NSW Government’s response is underpinned by a commitment to listen to and be guided by the voices of survivors,” Mrs Mitchell said.
“We know that there is much more work to be done to continue to progress healing, and to ensure survivors’ unique needs are addressed and supported in a culturally sensitive and trauma-informed way.
“The NSW Government is determined to address these concerns by taking real and meaningful action according to the priorities identified by the Stolen Generations Advisory Committee.”
More information about the Unfinished Business Report and a copy of the Unfinished Business Progress Report can be found here.
MEDIA: Sally Taylor | 0428 149 401