Through OCHRE, the NSW Government is the first government in Australia to incorporate healing into its Aboriginal affairs policy.
Aboriginal Affairs and the Healing Foundation will deliver OCHRE Healing Forums in partnership with interested Aboriginal communities in
The OCHRE Healing Forums are an opportunity for interested Aboriginal communities to engage directly with government and
non-government agencies to:
- Increase understanding of intergenerational trauma and healing; and
Identify local/regional issues and opportunities to improve the way government and non-government organisations work with communities; and
- Build local partnerships and support for healing.
An open Expression of Interest (EOI) process was held in 2016, inviting interested Aboriginal communities to register their submissions to
host an OCHRE Healing Forum. For the purposes of the EOI, Aboriginal communities self-identified as either geographical or interest-based
OCHRE Healing Forums
Following the EOI process, the following sites have been selected to host OCHRE Healing Forums:
- Baabayn Aboriginal Corporation (Greater Western Sydney) – held on 27 October 2017, Nurragingy Reserve
- Riverina Murray Regional Alliance (Riverina / Murray) – held on 22 & 23 November 2017, Griffith Showgrounds
- Barang Regional Alliance (Central Coast) – held on 30 November 2017, Terrigal.
- Clarence Valley Aboriginal Healing & Support Service (Mid North Coast) – held on 5 December 2017, Grafton.
- Kempsey Healing Together Planning Committee (Mid North Coast) – Early 2018
- Three Rivers Regional Assembly (Central Western NSW) – Early 2018
Dates and venues for the one-day events will be announced as planning continues. The delivery of each forum will depend on site readiness
and planning with the Local Planning Committee in each location.
Discussion outcomes will be reported for each forum and the implementation of undertakings will be monitored. Aboriginal Affairs expects
that the forums will encourage ongoing discussions and partnerships to support healing.
Further information on OCHRE Healing Forums can be accessed via the following links: