Through OCHRE, the NSW Government is the first government in Australia to incorporate healing into its Aboriginal affairs policy. Aboriginal Affairs and the Healing Foundation will deliver OCHRE Healing Forums in partnership with interested Aboriginal communities in 2017.
The OCHRE Healing Forums are an opportunity for interested Aboriginal communities to engage directly with government and non-government agencies to:
- Increase understanding of intergenerational trauma and healing; and
- Identify local/regional issues and opportunities to improve the way government and non-government organisations work with communities; and
- Build local partnerships and support for healing.
An open Expression of Interest (EOI) process was held in 2016, inviting interested Aboriginal communities to register their submissions to host an OCHRE Healing Forum. For the purposes of the EOI, Aboriginal communities self-identified as either geographical or interest-based communities.
OCHRE Healing Forums
Following the EOI process, the following sites have been selected to host OCHRE Healing Forums:
- Baabayn Aboriginal Corporation (Greater Western Sydney) – held on 27 October 2017, Nurragingy Reserve
- Riverina Murray Regional Alliance (Riverina / Murray) – held on 22 & 23 November 2017, Griffith Showgrounds
- Barang Regional Alliance (Central Coast) – held on 30 November 2017, Terrigal.
- Clarence Valley Aboriginal Healing & Support Service (Mid North Coast) – held on 5 December 2017, Grafton.
- Kempsey Healing Together Planning Committee (Mid North Coast) – Early 2018
- Three Rivers Regional Assembly (Central Western NSW) – Early 2018
Dates and venues for the one-day events will be announced as planning continues. The delivery of each forum will depend on site readiness and planning with the Local Planning Committee in each location.
Discussion outcomes will be reported for each forum and the implementation of undertakings will be monitored. Aboriginal Affairs expects that the forums will encourage ongoing discussions and partnerships to support healing.
Further information on OCHRE Healing Forums can be accessed via the following links:
OCHRE Healing Forums – Summary
OCHRE Healing Forums – Frequently Asked Questions
Please note: Expressions of Interest are now closed
Want to know more?
For further information relating to OCHRE Healing Forums please contact:
Phone: 1800 019 998