The NSW Government and CAPO NSW have agreed governance arrangements to guide the development of the NSW Implementation Plan.
The joint governance arrangements recognise that the involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people is key to the success of
Closing the Gap in NSW. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people must be able to make decisions about policies that affect their lives
NSW Joint Council
The NSW Joint Council (NSWJC) is the key decision-making group overseeing the planning and implementation of the National Agreement on
Closing the Gap in NSW.
It is jointly chaired by:
- the NSW Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, the Honourable Don Harwin MLC;
and the co-chairs of CAPO NSW, Cindy Berwick, President, NSW Aboriginal Education Consultative Group, and Charles Lynch, Councillor, NSW
Aboriginal Land Council.
- All CAPO NSW members
- Secretary, NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet
- NSW Ministers and Secretaries with responsibilities for Closing the Gap targets and reforms (at least one meeting per quarter).
The group is supported by:
- Deputy Secretary, Community Engagement, NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Head of Aboriginal Affairs, Aboriginal Affairs NSW
- CEO of NSW Aboriginal Land Council.
The principles underpinning the NSWJC are: