Shared decision making
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people must be able to make decisions about policies that affect their lives and communities.
The NSW Government and NSW CAPO, as representatives of Aboriginal communities, have agreed to joint governance arrangements to develop,
implement and monitor NSW’s plan to Closing the Gap. These joint governance arrangements make up the NSW Partnership for Closing the Gap.
NSW Joint Council
The NSW Joint Council (NSWJC) is the key decision-making group overseeing the planning and implementation of the National Agreement on
Closing the Gap in NSW.
It is jointly chaired by:
- the NSW Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, the Hon. David Harris
- and the chair of NSW CAPO, Councillor Anne Dennis, NSWALC, and John Leha, AbSec.
- All NSW CAPO members
- Secretary, NSW Premier's Department
The group is supported by:
- Deputy Secretary, Aboriginal Affairs NSW Group Premier's Department
- Executive Director, Closing the Gap and Voice, Aboriginal Affairs NSW Group Premier's Department
- CEO of NSW Aboriginal Land Council.
NSW Partnership Working Group
The NSW Partnership Working Group is made up of NSW Government senior executives across relevant departments, NSW CAPO members, and
representatives from the National Indigenous Australians Agency, Local Government NSW, and the NSW Coalition of Aboriginal Regional
The principles underpinning the NSWJC are: